As I’ve been “doing other shit instead” I haven’t exactly had my ear to the ground this year in terms of cutting edge new music, so this is resolutely populist for the most part, and the vast majority will be familiar. But hey, it’s what I listened to this year.
A few also might have been overplayed, but I’m not letting that take away from the fact they’re great tracks. However I don’t know many other people who like both Jonnie Common and Britney Spears, so maybe this is quite an unusual playlist?
And I think it all ties together quite nicely in this order and is actually bloody amazing. But then it is my fave songs of 2011 after all.
Also bear in mind that quite a few songs I liked this year are not on Spotify so could not be included (e.g. Conquering Animal Sound & Rob St John).
I’m discovering loads of stuff I missed through everyone else’s playlists of course – and I may well add a few more over the next wee while, so GO ON, SUBSCRIBE. Give it a chance. You never know you might like Drake’s creepy confessional R’n'B/hip hop (or you might be offended by certain words he uses, you have been warned).
1. SBTRKT – Never Never (feat. Sampha)
2. The Shivers – Love is in the Air
3. Metronomy – The Look
4. Found – Johnny I Can’t Walk The Line
5. Wild Beasts – Loop The Loop
6. Jonnie Common – Summer is for Going Places
7. PS I Love You – Subtle & Majestic
8. Little Dragon – Ritual Union
9. King Creosote & Jon Hopkins – Bubble
10. Slow Club – Two Cousins
11. Britney Spears – Inside Out
12. Drake – Marvin’s Room
13. Kurt Vile – Baby’s Arms
14. David Guetta – Little Bad Girl (feat Taio Cruz)
15. Battles – Ice Cream
16. Bill Wells & Aidan John Moffat – The Copper Top
17. St Vincent – Northern Lights
18. Wale – Focused (feat Kid Cudi)
19. Foster the People – Pumped Up Kicks
Other lists worth checking out which will no doubt have numerous gems I’ve missed (in no particular order):
The Tidal Wave of Indifference (currently counting down)
Song by Toad reader’s top 5 (he will have more lists soon)
And of course, VICE
(note: my favourite is always Said the Gramophone but their list isn’t up yet)